Union Lutheran Church is seeking a Director of Music Ministries to lead the music ministry of the church. The job description, qualifications, responsibilities and other details are provided below.
The Director of Music Ministries will develop and lead the music ministry of the church consistent with our mission statement and in collaboration with the Pastor and the Worship and Music Committee.
The qualified candidate will possess the following qualities/skills:
- Have a strong Christian faith
- Be a team player
- Have a sense of humor and positive attitude
- Be dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative
- Possess organizational skills
- Be able to work with all age groups
- Good verbal, written and communication skills
- Punctuality required
- Be a gifted vocalist
- Ability to manage time wisely and work independently
- Ability to teach and patience in teaching
- Outgoing personality and exceptional people skills
- Bachelor’s degree in music required
- Minimum five (5) years of experience preferred but not required
Responsibilities include the following:
- Select and plan music for Sunday and special worship services.
- Participate in planning worship services with the Pastor and Worship and Music Committee.
- Prepare and conduct rehearsals on a weekly basis for adult and children’s choirs.
- Prepare and conduct rehearsals on a weekly basis for adult and children’s handbell choirs.
- Participate in the life and ministry of the church.
- Direct adult and children’s choirs and handbell choirs during Sunday and special worship services.
- Work with the Christian Education Committee to plan, prepare and provide music for Vacation Bible School.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Maintain the instruments of the church including but not limited to pianos, organ and handbells.
- Direct special musical performances and programs as requested.
- Recruit members of the congregation for the choirs and instrumental ensembles according to their abilities and talents.
- Attend Music Week at Lutheridge, handbell workshops and other workshops as deemed beneficial.
- Grow the music ministry of Union Lutheran Church by adding choirs and ensembles.
- Community outreach through involvement in community services and joint services with other congregations.
- Hire instrumentalists for services as needed.
- Prepare a budget annually to submit to the Finance Committee for consideration.
- Proficiency in piano, voice and direction of vocal choirs and handbell choirs.
- Familiarity with the Lutheran liturgy or willingness to learn the Lutheran liturgy.
- Ability to play the organ is preferred but not required.
- Hire substitute organists as needed.
Part-time or full-time depending upon candidate.
Commensurate with experience.